Membership Vote to Amend and Restate the Articles of Incorporation
Why? Because our lawyers said so.
1. AEG is incorporated in California as a 501c6 corporation. AEG has not updated our Articles of Incorporation since the 1960s.
2. AEG needs to officially update our name with California to Association of Environmental & Engineering Geologists (this was not done in the 2000s as it should have been).
3. AEG needs to update it’s statement of purpose to include the word environmental to be consistent with our name.
4. AEG needs to update the format to be consistent with current guidelines.
What Are the Specific Changes?
Article I - Corporate Name. The name of the corporation is
ASSOCIATION OF ENVIRONMENTAL & ENGINEERING GEOLOGISTS
Article II - Corporate Purpose.
a. This corporation is a nonprofit Mutual Benefit Corporation organized under the Nonprofit Mutual Benefit Corporation Law. The purpose of this corporation is to engage in any lawful act or activity, other than credit union business, for which a corporation may be organized under such law.
b. The specific purposes of this corporation are to establish and maintain high ethical and professional standards for the environmental and engineering geology profession; to provide for the discussion of subjects related to the earth sciences and other problems of interest to the environmental and engineering geology profession; and to further public understanding and acceptance of the responsibilities of environmental and engineering geologists.
Detailed report and full explanation are available here.
Other Significant Findings
• The Constitution is not a recognized governance document by State of California for corporations.
• AEG needs to integrate language from the Constitution with the Bylaws as part of the Bylaw revision process being undertaken by the Governance Restructure Committee.
• AEG should vote to rescind the Constitution (likely in 2016).
3-Slide PowerPoint Presentation
For BOD use at the Section Meetings
AoI PowerPoint PDF